Saturday, October 9, 2010

Quality or Quanity

Do you spend to time with your children to say I put in my hour (Quantity) or to say I got to know more about them (Quality) ?



Today I went out with Samuel and Jason leaving undone dishes, unmade beds, school materials not finished for next wk but had good quality time with them. See I, as any other parent, when they have a day to "catch up" have a tendency to push aside the children and say later. You know what? Later 99% of the time NEVER happens!!



When we tell our children we will do something for them or with them we really shouldn't let ANYTHING interfere with that date and time. Our children will get to where they say, "Ok they said this but will it really happen?" We tell our children not to lie but yet we'll lie to them at the drop of a hat. My former Pastor, Dr Jack Hyles didn't let ANYTHING come between him and his time with his children. Now I realize he was a Pastor he needed to that. But wouldn't it be just as important for us a lay people to do the same for our children?

In Exodus 21 we're told, "Thou shalt not lie." Doesn't that apply to parents also? You know sometimes I believe we think, well, I'm the parent I have to work, clean the house, fix the car, do the laundry, buy the groceries etc. that we say, I don't have to be totally honest with my kid. WRONG!!! "Thou Shalt not lie" refers to ALL of us.

Next time you are trying to decided to do I give my children quality or quantity time why not say Quality. You'll find you're making memories with your children (no matter the age) that will stay with them for life.

Praise the Lord for you children! I do.

No comments: