Thursday, October 14, 2010

Peacemaker or Troublemaker??

Which are you? Do you bring Peace to a situation or trouble? Tonight our preacher taught on the beatitudes and he focused on the Peacemaker. We arrived home and I got to thinking about our family, what we are currently going through and how my children have acted lately.

One statement our preacher made about the parents being the peacemaker hit home! Do you scream and yell and then say Now if you scream and yell at _________ one more time I'm going to discipline you?! If you stop and think the child is ONLY doing what he sees and hears mom and dad doing. What is that? Screaming and Yelling! This is just one of many examples he gave.

The question is: Are YOU a peacemaker or a troublemaker???

Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."

WOW!! That really hit home. I'm going to use my family here, today has been an emotional day for us. The children knew Mom wasn't in her normal mode of things and they were pushing the wagon a little to far. As I look back over my day, I was ready to help my children meet Jesus early ( not literally) they had just argued, bickered, fought, kicked, disobeyed one time to many. Discipline had already been issued and they still continued. Well, daddy has been gone for over a wk, we aren't sure when he's coming home so.... I decided I'm going to Preacher, he will set them straight and we'll be good! Then he preaches this message OUCH!!!

Was I peacemaker today? no not really
Did I have a reasonable reason to not be totally peaceful? Maybe, but probably not
Could I have prevented some of the stress today? YES
Why were the children troublemakers today? The Holy Spirit wasn't leading mom to be the peacemaker cause Mom wasn't allowing him to. You know we're all human and at times we mess up. However, when we came home from church tonight the peacemaker was here, the Holy Spirit was in control and our evening went 99% better! Did I rant at my preacher about them? No I simply applied the message to my situation.

We can be the peacemaker in play, work, church, with our spouse, with our children, with our parents, you name it and if there seems to be, or is a troublemaker around. We can step up and be the peacemaker.

I love verse 12 of Matthew 5 "Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."
Because the beatitudes were followed now we can Rejoice, and be exceeding glad! Isn't that wonderful?!

You decide today, will I be a Peacemaker or will I be the troublemaker. Will I allow the Holy Spirit to control what I do and say so I bring peace? or Will I ignore him and have more trouble than I know what to do with? "Blessed are the peacemakers...."

No comments: