Thursday, August 6, 2009

Are You Eating On The Run?

Devotional for 8/7

Ok, I know this sounds like a crazy title, I was listening to the radio the other morning on my way to run errands. Usually I don't do this because the local "Christian" station isn't that good. However, what caught my attention was the question, "Are you eating on the run?" and the person referred to Psalm 23.

Psalm 23
1. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

I started reading through this passage looking to see what they were referring to "eating on the run" As read Ps 23 I started thinking....
1. What does a shepherd do? He leads us if we're always on the run how can he, God, leads us as he wants? Part of the leading is allowing Him to lead us peacefulness (green pastures and still waters)
If we don't take time to rest and "eat" study God's word He can't lead us in the direction He has for us.
2. By allowing the Lord to lead we can "eat" and our soul can be restored to "health".
If we don't eat properly not only physically but feeding on the word of God we can't be lead by our Shepherd, he can't lead us to green pastures and still waters which leads to the fact he can't restore our souls.
It's not only important that we we eat properly for our physical health, but we also need to eat properly to keep our spiritual health up.
3. By allowing our Shepherd to guide us, he protects us through life. We have no need of fear as long as we allow our Shepherd to feed us and not try "Eating on the Run!"
4. The Lord has already prepared a table for us. Are we going to be in such a hurry in the morning that we can't take time to "eat" before starting the day. If we would only stop for our daily bread the Lord has prepared the table before our enemies, he anoints us with oil and fills our cup to overflowing. Why? Because we've taken time to "eat" before starting our day. Are you eating on the run? OR are you taking time out of your day to fill up on God's Word.

I don't know if this is what the host on the radio station was referring to, but as I began to study this and ask the Lord to show me this is where I came too. Daily devotions are so very important for each of us.

Did you leave your room this morning forgetting to pray and study your Bible?
Did you allow the Lord to "feed" you or did you decide to "eat" on the run?

This is not only a devotional for others, but also for me. We all need to make sure we have our daily bread not only physically but spiritually!

8/6/09
Paula Micheal Seavey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you this is exactly what I needed today!! Sue