Thursday, August 20, 2009

Honoring Our Parents, Grandparents......

Dad and Mom Seavey (50th Wedding Anniversary!) Picture of my folks coming soon.
This is my Grandpa Russ and me :) wasn't I cute???? :D My mom called me today telling me that it's been 37 yrs, Aug 2nd, since her Daddy went to Heaven!!! He was 87 when he died, the unique thing about my Grandpa is he was born on Aug 2, 1887 at 1 in the afternoon, he went to Heaven on Aug 2, 1974 at 1:05 pm. Grandpa loved his children all 14 of them!!! He enjoyed each of his grandchildren and even great grandchildren also. My fondest memory of Grandpa was when I was 6 and 7 I would come in from playing out doors and he would say, "Little Man (this is what he called ALL his grandchildren) you have a speck of dirt on your cheek or face" I'd run in and wash my face and hands. I absolutely didn't like to be dirty. Then he would ALWAYS share is Coke Cola with me. No matter when it was and if he thought we, the grandchildren, should have a cookie, then we got a cookie! Grandpa was also the ONLY man I knew for the first yr-1/2 of my life. My daddy was in the Air Force and he was stationed in the Philippine Islands, so when I was born he wasn't there. But I LOVE my daddy very much!!

I have watched my mom and all her sisters and brothers honor their Dad when I was little as well as since his home going. When I was old enough to understand I decided that I was going to honor my dad and mom all their life!!

Ephesians 6:2 "Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
3. That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth."
This isn't exactly a devotional, but when my mom called and reminded me of my Grandpa this came to mind. So, if you've not spoke with your folks in a while maybe a call is something they need. Remember we can honor them more than just once a yr on Mothers Day, Fathers Day even Grandparents day.
The Bible teaches we are to Honour our father and mother. It's a commandment not a if you want to honour them, but a command that we are to do this. As my mom and her siblings that are still living do, they remember their folks even now that their dad is heaven.
Teach your children to honor their grandparents, I believe one reason our children should be taught to honor Grandma and Grandpa, is if wasn't for them we wouldn't be here. Without mom and dad our children wouldn't be here so we all need to honor both!!!
8/20/09
Paula Micheal Nofsinger Seavey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paula, I remember when you got married there was this song that played I think it was for an "Honor for your dad" Daddy don't you know? Or something like that It rings over and over in my head just those words, What was the words to the song anyway Love ya, Geri