Thursday, September 3, 2009

Words Fitly Spoken

Proverbs 25:11 "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."

Psalm 19:14 "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."

Philippians 14:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report: if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

In looking at these verses words need to be honest, pure, lovely and of good report!! Our words should be fitly spoken. Last night my daughter received a phone call that was VERY hurtful! The young person who called her was suppose to be a close friend. There are a few others that decided it would be cute to start rumors about 5 of our good young ladies in our school. One of which was my daughter. I will not go into details about the rumors. However it made me think. As Christians we need to watch our words.

1. Words fitly spoken won't hurt others.
2. The meditation of your heart will come out of your mouth eventually.
3. Our words should be acceptable by Christ

Phil 4:8 truly says it all!

I went to these verses this morning in my devos, as mother I wanted to lay into a few people. Would of said the right things, my very wise and loving husband also reminded me in anger things are made worse. The motherly instinct wanted to attack, thank the Lord though I let the proper authorities take care of the situation.

Now, my daughter and the 4 other girls now have some pretty devastating things to work through, but they have the support of their parents and a godly principal and the best Pastor ever!!

I love the children's song:
Oh be careful little mouth what you say!
You can say things of encouragement or you say things that are hurtful. So be careful little mouth what you say for the Father up above is looking down in Love so be careful little mouth what you say.

Phil 4:8 Finally, brethern, whatsoever things are true (telling the truth)
whatsoever things are honest (don't lie to make yourself look good)
whatsoever things are just (spreading rumors is not just but evil. Theres intent to hurt)
whatsoever things are pure (make sure your speech is from a pure heart)
whatsoever things are lovely, (make sure you speech is lovely, or kind)
whatsoever things are of good report (telling the good things such as: Our church is starting a Bible college. Don't be a gossip or rumor spreader.)
if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise,
think on these things. Think on the good not the bad!

No comments: