Thursday, April 7, 2011

Shipwrecks in Relationships

In order to tap into
the supernatural,
Miracle-working power
of God that is
available to me in my
relationships, I've got
to get focused on what
God expects from me
in this relationship,
instead of what I
expect from the
other person.


In the past few lessons we've been looking the principles that guide our relationships and how to avoid the shipwrecks that can happen. Every person that we interact with who crosses our paths constitutes a relationship. We are given instruction how to treat our enemies, those who hate us, criticize us, oppose, accuse and attack me unprovoked. So you can see there is yet one more relationship in our lives.

We are told to share the gospel and give all an opportunity to accept Christ. Mrs Corle did an interesting  word study on how to avoid disaster and shipwrecks.
Disaster - comes from the English language of ancient nautical history. It means "to lose one's fair"
Think about it in ancient days they didn't have the modern day equipment to guide the ships. They had to depend on the stars. Where as today we compasses, and maps and things. So in order to avoid shipwreck you cannot lose sight of the guiding star.

The Bible is our guiding light. So in order to avoid shipwreck in our relationships we need to follow God's word which is a light unto our path.
Psalm 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and light unto my path." If we lose sight of the way the Bible is leading we'll have a disaster/shipwreck. Stay focused on God and the Bible, if you make your decisions on your relationships according to God and the Bible and let that be your guide, your relationships will fair much better.

When you have the "rough seas' in a relationship don't run or quit on that person. Keep going. I think of the fact that I work with deaf people. Relationships with the deaf are very unique. For one I"m hearing and they don't think I understand them. (not so much their language but what they go through). It would be so easy so that's it, I'm done the deaf aren't worth it! You know that wouldn't be good for me or them. If you know sign language, use it! Deaf are in their "own" world which is a minority in a hearing world! When a deaf person sees, a hearing person is trying to talk with them, trying to be friendly, it really makes their day. I realize this lesson isn't on deaf and how to treat them, but I see MANY relationships between deaf and hearing that could be so much stronger if the hearing person would be the "captain" of the relationship!!!!

When a problem arises in a relationship don't throw in the towel so to speak! Let God and the Bible be your guide and keep it afloat!

If you have children, or if you babysit, or you teach, for every negative you hear or get "deposit" 5 positives into their minds! You say how do you do this? Let me explain:
I'm going to use one of my children as an example here:
My son: I hate math!
Me: Math can help you in many ways.
Son: How?
Me: 1.  you need math to do your check book when you are older.
2. You say you want to be a mechanic, you need to know your fractions an how to use them with various things.
3. God could use you to teach a shop class and you would need to be able to explain the various things about math and how it applies to tools.
4. I tell him I love him and that I want the best for him so this why we need to learn these things.
5. God wants the best from us and we need to put aside the I hate attitude and have the I can attitude.

These are just a few things I have used. Now until I studied this lesson and really thought about it I had never used 5 positives for a negative, but you know I have tried it several times and the children have benefited from it. We've also had a better time of learning or whatever the negative remark was. You know with my 3 teenage boys I have noticed a better mom/son relationship develop!!!

Remember relationships also need good manners. You know when you say yep, or yea to someone to it's really not showing that you respect your relationship. Now I know sometimes in play or casual conversation we may do that but don't call the person names. One of the things I really have to work on with my boys is calling their brothers names. When it comes to your home courtesy and thoughtfulness are more important than anywhere else.
Learn to say "magic words" Not hocus-pocus stuff" or abracadabra. I'm talking important words like:
Please
Thank you
I'm sorry
I was wrong
Can we talk about it?
I love you
I need you
I admire you
You are important to me!

ALL these are so important. Mom, it's ok to admit to a child that you were wrong! Yes, I know you are the adult, but guess what??? We make mistakes too!!! I will never forget the first time I went to my daughter and said, "Can you forgive me?" She looked at me like I lost my mind. (that could of been a possibility haha) Really, she was like you are asking ME to forgive YOU!!! I had made a mistake and she needed to know that Mom was human too. That mom needed forgiveness just like she did!!! Make sure courtesy and thoughtfulness is kept right in your home!

Don't let it be said of you, "you always hurt me" rather let it be said, "she is always willing to help, and she helps me!' You can make the choice!

Keep God and the Bible as your guide to keep you from having a disaster or wrecking your ship in a relationship. 


No comments: