Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Wife after God's Own Heart Lesson 3

Little things that make a BIG difference in any relationship. What little things can you think of that would make a big difference in your marriage? Just everyday things I think of communication, honesty, praying together, studying the Bible together to just name a few things off the top of my head. 

In Ms. Georges' book she list 6 things 3 of which I'm going to focus on, which are the 3 I believe to be the most important Little thing that will make a Big difference in your marriage.

1. Reading your Bible Daily - the scripture tells us to meditate day and night on God's word. The way we can do this is by studying God's Word daily. You may say but I struggle with those Bible reading charts. That is ok I'm going to give 3 of several ways I've studied and do study my Bible.

1. Reading Chart - Reading So many chapters every morning in the Old Testament and in the evening a chapter or 2 out of the New testament. (This seems to be the more "traditional" way of reading through the Bible)

2. Is a Daily Devotional - Using something such as "My Daily Bread" or I have a book that was given to me that I absolutely LOVE and that is, "A Heart Devoted" then with that I read a Proverbs a day, along with Psalms and Acts.

3. Is doing word studies - These are fun and enjoyable they also can take you several weeks sometimes several months.

As we all know, everyone learns, studies, grows at different rates/speeds. I believe as long as you are studying your Bible, reading it daily you will grow it matters not how you do it, as long as you READ your Bible.

2. Pray Faithfully for your husband - In the book "A wife after God's Own Heart" she says, pray 3 times a day for your husband. The 3 times she suggest is before he wakes up, at lunch and before he comes in from work. Now with me I'd have to be up 3 AM to pray for my husband before he woke up. I will admit I'm not a morning person. Although I believe if I determined to my heart to do this I could. But I do pray faithfully for him. Not necessarily at the times she suggest. You as an individual choose a time and decided these 3 times each day I'm going to pray for my husband.

This next one to me should never have to be decided on but it is important.

3. Plan to go to church together - I don't mean in the same car necessarily but go to church as Husband and wife. Now for us this has been a way of life from day one of our marriage! We got married Aug 24, 1991 and on Aug 25th on our Honeymoon we, Bill and Paula Seavey III were in church. Am I bragging? No It's fact we have gone to church from the beginning and we didn't once say we might go or lets plan to go this week.

Now, if you have just recently accepted Christ and you aren't in the routine of going to church. Then YES PLAN to be in church. However in that Plan decided immediately that NOTHING and I mean NOTHING will change that plan short of death.

You may say, Paula, I'm saved but my husband isn't. Ma'am let me suggest that you start by inviting him to Sunday School, it's generally only an hr. long and not a lot of people and then after Sunday School ask him to please stay for the service. If he won't don't push it but let him know you really want to stay. Pray about your spouse getting into church, getting saved and wanting to be there.

Now the next 3 points are good but I'm not going to expound on them but for different people these could be Big to their marriage.

4. Sign up for a Bible Class - If your church offers Sunday or Wednesday Night classes take them and learn.

5. Purchase or borrow Christian books - do be careful of the Authors and scripture

6. Write a letter of commitment to God - This particular point I've thought over, once you are saved the Lord knows your commitment to Him. If it will help you as an individual to write out your commitment to God then by all means do it.

*In point five I mentioned scripture - The book I've referred to a few times is not all KJV but any scripture I put on my blog from her book has been changed to the King James Bible. I believe there are wonderful books out there but you do Have to be careful that your reading God's Word when scripture is referred to.

No comments: