Monday, February 15, 2010

Believing in yourself

I looked up 3 different words: self-assured; self-denial and self-esteem. I was curious how they all went together.

Self assured adj. Confident in one's own abilities; self-reliant.
Here we see you are confident in yourself. You can do things and your confident in your abilities. One would hope that you greatly depend on Christ in that confidentiality "I can do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Self denial N The act or power of denying oneself gratification.
Never allowing yourself to be gratified with the act you are doing. Whether it's for yourself for others. Feeling like you really can't do anything that would satisfy another. I love the verse: Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might.
If what you do, say, or plan to do or say will honor one don't deny yourself the gratification of having done a good deed.

Self esteem N A good opinion of oneself; an overestimate of oneself. This is one that I notice many, many people struggle with. Did I? Yes! It took several many months meeting with my Pastor to get to where I knew not Just in my head but in my heart that I can have good self-esteem of myself. Not to the point I become rude, or miss know it all. Trust me I'm NOT a know it all. I love the passage of scripture that my Preacher asked me to read every day for a month and since last May I've read it almost every day without fail! It is Psalm 139 and the one verse he told me to focus on was verse 14: "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works: and that my soul knoweth right well."
This verse did wonders for me!!

Do I struggle with my self-esteem? Yes
What do I do about it? Read and study Psalm 139
How often do I read and study my Bible? Daily (or I do my best) I'm not perfect so I fail at times.

I you have problems with self-esteem, or any of the topics I touched on make it a point to read Psalm 139 daily for at least 30 days! You'll be amazed how God will change your life and you'll be confident and your esteem will grow to where it's not low.

This is the day that the Lord hath made I will rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments: