Saturday, August 3, 2013

Taste your words

Is what your about to say bitter? Is it kind? Is it hurtful? Will it bring Peace? Will it bring Sorrow? Taste your words! 

You may say OK how can I taste my words? Well, I'm actually glad you asked because words can be and are very powerful. 



This saying is from facebook and yes very true. I try my best to keep my facebook page, my family blog, and this blog positive. Why? I don't want to be the reason someone falls, or quits or maybe changed a decision to serve God because of me. In Proverbs 16:24 it says, "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." Are your words as a honeycomb? 

Philippians 4:8 "Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." 

Whenever we speak we need to:
1. Speak the truth
2. Be honest 
3. Speak pure words
4. Be loving in what you say
5. Bear good reports

What do you think would happen if you did these 5 things daily? 
Well, people wouldn't run the other way when they saw you coming. There's a very dear lady friend, I love to see her walk through the door or anywhere for that matter. Why? She's always smiling and has the sweetest spirit and is always positive. What if when I saw her walk into a room I was like, "OH no look who's here!" That wouldn't be good. Instead I'm happy to see her. Which person are you? 

Today as we were traveling from one church members home to another our boys were being typical brothers, but their words became unkind. Yes! Pastors kids, do speak unkind things to each other and to other kids! Shocked? Well, as we have told our children over the past 5 months we know your normal kids but others look at you and expect you to be on a higher level. So anyway, they became unkind to one anther, their Dad also their Pastor, spoke to them. They as any child, should do, had to apologize to the other for what had been said. Their play had turned vicious and although not perfect we try to get our children to always speak the truth, be honest, be sure their words are pure, to love and give good reports. Does this always happen? NOPE! That is where training our children to be Christ-like is so important. 

Parents if your children here you always being negative about your pastor, their teachers, each other, about their friends parents; they will eventually start being negative about their Pastor, teachers etc. 
So Adults, teens, young people, children taste your words BEFORE you spit them out! 

I remember hearing my Grandmother say, "If you can't say anything good don't say anything at all" This is so true but so often never crosses the mind before speaking evil or wrong of someone. 

The kids saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is WRONG yes sticks and stones may break your bones but words, well they can destroy a person. I won't name any names but I know of a person who all through their growing up years was told, "Your lazy, your good for nothing, you'll never amount to anything  plus a lot of other things." This person to this day has lived up to what they were told from a child all the way through their teen years. Could this person have changed, YES but after hearing those negative comments day in and day out for well over 18 years and the person believes them. Now this person has been saved but is really struggling with this. Is that what you want your friend, your brother, your sister, anyone to be like? I don't think so. 

So lets have words like honeycombs! Proverbs 16:24 it says, "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." 


By: Paula MN Seavey


2 comments:

allison nadauld said...

It doesn't look like Hermiston, OR (Umatilla county ) is affected by the fires. I thought this website was good for review.... http://wildfireoregondeptofforestry.blogspot.com/

or this one has a map:
http://www.nwccweb.us/information/firemap.aspx

It looks like the only one close is the Green Ridge Fire, still 230 miles away from Hermiston.

I'm not sure if it's smokey there though.

Hope that helps.

allison nadauld said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.